Chocolate Churros

Chocolate churros are the one thing that I have been looking forward to (for the letter C) making since I started this blog! However, I realized after making them that they were better in theory than in actual execution, although I blame myself for most of the issues I had while making these seemingly delicious chocolate churros. Even though this wasn't the prettiest or most successful process, I still wanted to share the experience because I learned lots of tips that will definitely be useful in the future!

While this is how they looked at the end, they definitely didn't look the way they were supposed to, and I am certain that it took ten times the amount of time to make them than it should have. 


The recipe that I used made the cooking process seem a lot easier than it actually was. Although, I was rushed and unprepared while baking, so again, mostly my fault. 

Anyways, the first step was making the dough for the churros. This part was actually not too problematic and didn't take much time at all. The only difficulty I had during this first step was mixing the dough with the eggs, which was more of an arm workout than a cooking experiment! Unfortunately, I forgot to take many pictures during this experience, but there was nothing unusual or extremely difficult about any of the steps, just a little personal error. 

After making the dough, the recipe instructed me to use a piping bag to make the strips and then freeze the strips for 45 minutes. I mentioned I was slightly unprepared for this endeavor before, and this is where that comes in. I didn't realize before I started that I didn't have any piping bags, so I problem-solved with a gallon sized Ziploc and cut one of the corners. Honestly, this did the job just fine, but didn't make the picture-perfect grooves on the sides of the strips. 

When I took the frozen churro strips out of the freezer, I boiled some oil in my pan and got ready to fry. The main issue I had with this step was that, again, being unprepared, I didn't measure the heat of the oil before I put the churros in. The oil started to boil, bubble, and pop, which I used as my indicator that it was ready to be cooked in. However, judging by the way the churros came out, it probably would have been better to measure the temperature. 


This was the way that the oil looked when I put the first couple of churros in... I thought it was hot enough, it was certainly bubbling, but in hindsight I should have waited because my churros came out in all different colors, some were burnt, some just barely golden (I forgot to take a picture of this too). 

The next step after frying all the churros was rolling them in cinnamon sugar, which was super easy. The one tip I might suggest is rolling them right after they get out of the pot so that they cinnamon sugar mix sticks a little better, but I actually didn't have any problems with this part. 

The recipe I used called for a Nutella spread inside of the churros. The way this is done is by using a straw to poke a hole through the middle of the churro and the using a piping bag with Nutella to squeeze it into the small hole in the middle. Again, me being unprepared, I didn't have Nutella, so I melted chocolate chips to use instead. Flavor-wise and consistancy-wise, there was barely any difference and was a great substitute, highly recommend. However, since I didn't have piping bags either (oops...) I used my Ziploc bag technique again. While it was successful with the thicker dough, it was much harder to control with the melted chocolate which was more liquidy. Anyways, I still think it was a good substitute if you are ever in a situation where you need to problem solve! 

Overall, while the process was slightly challenging, I think it was mostly due to my lack of ingredients and preparation, not the actual cooking process. And, it payed off because in the end of the day they tasted AMAZING, like seriously 10/10 on taste. The fun part about making these was that I have so many ideas for when I make them again, like mixing cinnamon sugar into the dough, or making chocolate dough, or something else to put my own twist on the classic churro! I would rate this dessert a 6/10 in my experience because it was somewhat of a frustrating process, although it did taste delicious. 

Here is the recipe I used for the churros 
https://tasty.co/recipe/chocolate-hazelnut-churros-by-tasty-miam




Comments

Popular Posts